Monday, 15 September 2014

KAYAK TRIP TO BUNNY ISLAND



So we went on a bit of a different photo adventure yesterday! I had borrowed the kayaks from work, so Graeme and I set out to explore a couple of the little islands in Gandsfjord, and we brought along my GoPro for the occasion. Whenever I've been kayaking before, the one thing that's always bothered me is how I've not been able to take any pictures. I've never wanted to risk taking an SLR or my phone with me, and somehow, none of mine and Graeme's 14 analog cameras are waterproof. A GoPro Hero3 White Edition on sale solved that problem (and oh my, we have SO many ideas of how to use this camera with Bo. yes, this is totally happening).



The first thing that happened on our little adventure, was that Graeme caught two mackerel. Yes, they're what's for dinner tonight. Next, we continued to this magical little island full of bunnies. I was first intrigued due to the weird structure in the picture below (room with a view, anyone?), and then as we got closer to the island I noticed some strangely shaped rocks... that turned out to be rabbits! I'm not entirely sure how they got there, as they looked like domesticated rabbits, but they seemed to be enjoying their little grassy island in the sun. We went ashore to explore, and on the other side of the island there was a small pebble beach where I went for a swim (my first swim in the sea in Norway this year, and it's in September...?), while Graeme paddled around and had his toes nibbled by the little fish.


Thursday, 11 September 2014

BUTTON DOWN SKIRT

Hurrah, another sewing project! And this time, I made a skirt based on this tutorial from Tilly and the Buttons (which, by the way, is an awesome sewing blog, if you didn't already know about it!). I have a navy skirt similar to this one already, which has been a favorite for very many years (I actually wore it to mine and Graeme's first date eons ago, and I still love it! Ha!), so as soon as I saw Tilly's tutorial I knew I wanted to try making it.


I used a lovely cotton tartan (which gave me a bit of Scotland homesickness), and added black buttons down the front. It was my first time making a gathered skirt, making pockets and doing button holes, so I'm pretty impressed the buttons lined up with the holes. Which I had to do by hand by the way, as my very basic sewing machine doesn't do button holes. Plus, pocket no. 2 is way neater than pocket no. 1 haha. So I'm getting better, right? My novice sewing skills show a bit, but overall I'm really happy with the result, and I already want to make another one. Can't wait to wear this one as much as I've worn my navy one over the years!


Monday, 8 September 2014

BATIK PILLOW


I like a nice and simple DIY project. They don’t take up much time and add a nice personal touch. And other than the fact that this was actually my third attempt at this project, this batik pillow project super easy and quick. My first attempt looked perfect until someone put an iPad on it while the wax was drying. And then someone else sat on it, and sadly it was unsalvageable. And for my second attempt, my wax obviously ran empty and squirted everywhere like an almost-empty ketchup bottle. So in case you’re wondering, a 85 ml bottle of batik wax will be enough for about a pillow and a half, if you’re doing a pattern similar to this one.

Anyway, troubles aside, I’m happy with the results so thought I’d share. The process is super simple: I drew my pattern using batik wax, and then dyed it using Dylan fabric dye in Ocean Blue. I like how irregular my “hellos” are, and the ombre effect. Goes quite nicely with the blue flowers in the duvet in my guestroom, no?


Also, do I need to work on my ironing skills or what?

Monday, 1 September 2014

ADVENTURES IN SEWING: SHIFT DRESS


Lo and behold, I made a dress! This isn't actually the first time I sew a dress, but it's the first time I sew one from a pattern I made based on another dress. The original dress was a shift dress I bought a few years ago in Dublin at Forever 21. I loved it dearly, but as it was showing a bit of wear and tear I decided that it was time to let go.. at least almost. It seemed simple enough for me with my basic sewing skills to try to make my own version of it, so I grabbed my scissors, cut up the seams and made a pattern.

The original dress had ties for the back, but I decided to keep it simple and used a hook and eye clasp. I have so many other ideas now too, like maybe adding a scalloped hem at the bottom? Or changing the neck? Adding pockets? Or hello, peter pan collar? Ahh the possibilities are endless. Watch this space for more dresses!



Also, a special thanks to Graeme for taking the pictures haha. For someone who loves to take photos, I'm pretty camera-shy, and have really no idea how to even begin posing. I mean, what do you do with your face? Or all your limbs? Oh, the awkwardness. Either way, we had a good laugh taking these. And brace yourself--I finished off sewing a skirt yesterday too, so will probably do a post about that once I get organized enough to take a few awkward photos of that too!

Monday, 25 August 2014

DIANA F+ FISHEYE / BORE

Ahoy matey! Graeme and I passed our boat license exam last week. Step one of becoming Captain Hilde is complete.









































And on that note I thought I would share a couple of pictures from a roll of film I got developed recently. These were taken at a bit of a spontaneous trip to Bore beach one evening this summer, where I was about get ready for bed and was moaning about how we hadn't been to the beach in a while, so Graeme said "Ok, let's go! and off we went. These were shot with my trusty Diana F+, with 120 film and a fisheye lens.


Now all we need is a boat...